Saturday, January 19, 2008

Let Your Voice Be Heard!

Okay folks, I'm Christopher Mills, and I need some help. I'm trying to decide which cover layout/logo to use on the upcoming Femme Noir: The Dark City Diaries comic book miniseries that I've written for Ape Entertainment.

For the past year or so, as we've steadily worked towards publication, I've been pretty well set on the layout/logo above left. I felt that it was less intrusive to the great art I was getting for the covers and looked kind of, well... classy.

But recently, various people – including my publishers! – have been pointing out that the original Femme Noir logo by Nate Piekos (above right) has a certain amount of brand value, as series artist Joe Staton and I have been using it in association with the property since it began as a webcomic back in March of 2001. That's nearly seven years! Their argument is that we have spent a lot of time building brand equity into that logo and that it would be foolish to not use it on the comic book. It's a good point.

Now, I still personally prefer the "deco" look I came up with, but I'm open-minded, and the original logo certainly "works." I guess I'd just like to get a few more opinions before I make up my mind....

So what do you think? Post your choice in the comments and help me out, okay?

Thanks!

6 comments:

henri yim said...

i say , switch the kiss to the deco logo, though the old one has a bit more umpph. class or ummph, that is the question.

Troy Dye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Troy Dye said...

Shoot! I really like the art deco design. It's just cleaner, nice, and stylish. And then I clicked on the image of both covers for a closer look ... and the lip logo just stood out to me more. I guess my vote is for the lips!

Jay Carvajal said...

I like the art deco one the best but the publisher has a good point about the familiarity of the kiss logo and if it was also done by Nate...well, he is a master :) I don't know, maybe use the kiss logo as your main logo and if you do an alternate cover then use the art deco for that??? Either one is nice though so whichever you choose you can't lose.

Stan Yan said...

I like the lips!

Neil J Murphy said...

Without even reading your post, I say go with the one on the right.

Oh, that's the original? Why mess with success?